[labnetwork] Equipment Expected Lifetime

Albert William (Bill) Flounders bill_flounders at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:45:49 EDT 2022

All,
I don't want to discourage this conversation but will state what I suspect
many are thinking.
Our facilities are seldom able to follow guidelines or lifetime expectancy
models.
We keep these tools running as long as we can, then we rebuild them.
Or we offer them to our colleagues on the network, who usually snap them up
regardless of age.
I look forward to making our own equipment age pie chart, but I don't
commit to sharing it.

I'll end with anecdote - we have a bell jar thermal evaporator with a 1962
property sticker on it.
The diffusion pump was replaced with a good new cryo (several times), the
power supply upgraded to a digital controller,
a new QCM installed, foreline has been rebuilt many times. It's a workhorse
and is used several times a week.
When we celebrated the tool's 50th birthday in 2012, I asked the retired
Dean to say a few words and he told us,
"Well the first thing I can tell you about that tool is, We bought it used!"

Regards to all,
Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley