[labnetwork] ALD reactor thru wall sealing ideas

James Mitchell jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:21:25 EDT 2022

I have had to cut through a honeycomb wall like that. Once I had the
opening I needed I used a large piece of tubing to insulate the opening.
I got 2 or 3 inch OD soft plastic tubing and cut a longways slit in it and
fitted it around the opening.
This would make it safe to reach through. You could also use silicone to
seal it and hold it in place.

Jim

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 7:54 AM Kevin M McPeak <kmcpeak at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Over the past year and a half, the LSU nanofabrication facility has
> constructed a plasma-enhanced ALD tool with much advice from Scott Butcher
> at MEAglow. See photos of the tool here:
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBMRZnYfKJmJBQtKA
>
> Our current plan is to house the tool outside the cleanroom and have the
> heated/insulated door stick through a hole in the cleanroom wall (1/2"
> thick Al honeycomb), see photos.
>
> We are looking for ideas on the best way to seal the hole in the wall
> around the jacket. We are thinking of cutting the wall larger than the
> jacket diameter and then fabricating a large rubber grommet around the
> jacket. Hopefully, some of you have tools with these kinds of seals and can
> provide first-hand experience or even sources for the materials.
>
> The reactor body is built from a MDC 8" Tee (
> https://www.mdcprecision.com/404041-tee-8-inchflange) with a 3/4" thick
> heated jacket wrapped around it. The maximum external temperature of the
> jacket is 129 F (touch safe).
>
> Thanks for your input in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

*Thank you, Jim*

*James Mitchell*
*Specialty Trades Technician*
*Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering*
*North Carolina State University Nanofabrication Facility (NNF)*
*MRC RM243A **Box 7911*
*2410 Campus Shore Dr., Raleigh, NC 27606*
*jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu* <jtmitch5 at ncsu.edu>
*Desk: 919-515-5394*
*Cell: 919-717-7325*