[labnetwork] Wire saw cross sectioning service

Beall, James A. (Fed) james.beall at nist.gov
Thu Jun 9 15:09:08 EDT 2022

Hello,

We are fabricating micro machined silicon feedhorns (stacked silicon platelets that are gold plated) that we would like to have cross sectioned to analyze the final horn profile and gold plating quality. The parts a 1.5 cm x 2 cm x 2 cm and the waveguide ID ranges from 0.5 - 3 mm.

I’ve done this in the past with a low speed Buehler diamond blade saw followed by lapping but it is hard to hit the diameter of the waveguide and is tedious to lap down.

Ted Pella and Princeton Scientific sell ~$10K wire saws which would probably work but for only a couple of samples we are looking for a company that might perform this device.

Any recommendations?

Thanks very much,

Jim Beall
NIST Boulder