[labnetwork] Microfabrication class

Martin, Michael michael.martin at louisville.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:31:00 EDT 2022

Hi Sergi,
    We regularly offer a MEMS class and lab at the U. of Louisville.  In years past the lab class has built pressure sensors but this year we are doing "pop-up" structures similar to the microelectromechanical (MEMS) gripper from the Harnett lab found here: https://harnettlab.org/  You can also see some video and photos of the students' progress this term on our Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/micronanolouisville/  And you can find class related resources on our website: https://louisville.edu/micronano/ECE%20544 .
   The students are first walked through the rather straightforward fab sequence to gain familiarity with the cleanroom tools and then they design their own structures followed by doing a second round of fabrication. Another thing we did differently this year is to have the cleanroom staff act as the TA's.  While it is time consuming and bit of a pain (opinions my own) I think the students have had a MUCH better experience than in years past.  Having inexperienced, sometimes apathetic grad students as TA's is not optimal for the undergrads.  That said we doubt we will be doing this again. 🙂
ECE 544 — Micro/Nano Technology Center - University of Louisville<https://louisville.edu/micronano/ECE%20544>
ECE 544 Microfabrication/MEMS Laboratory Fall 2022. Home; Expand About Us Submenu About Us. Administration and Staff; Annual Reports; About Us About Us Dropdown Toggle. Administration and Staff
louisville.edu

Harnett Lab - At the University of Louisville J. B. Speed School of Engineering<https://harnettlab.org/>
We used shape-memory alloy (SMA) wire sewn into some denim and stiff plastic using tailored wire placement to form a “crease” when energized which creates a flexure hinge, allowing the structure to bend. Since we are able to electronically control where this crease is formed we can create a hinge up and down the structure, meaning we can reconfigure the location of the joint.
harnettlab.org
Hope this helps.
Regards,
   Michael