[labnetwork] publication acknowledgements

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 26 10:58:27 EDT 2023

Hi Nathanael -

Excellent question, as it's easier and cheaper to simulate a device than
it is to build it, so we always need to demonstrate the value of our
facilities in the research ecosystem. I can share what we do now (though
will defer to Sara, our nano at stanford program manager who is managing
the process this year) and would be glad to hear what others do.  Since
we receive partial support from NSF, we provide a list of publications
every year.  We currently use two approaches in parallel.

1. The libraries.  We work with a wonderful Project & Data manager in
Stanford's Digital Libraries group who runs searches on various
publications databases for us.  This is done in several rounds using
keywords with decreasing specificity, which require increasing levels of
human filtering.  For example, the first round is a search in the
acknowledgements for our NSF award, "nano at stanford", "Stanford
Nanofabrication Facility", and "Stanford Nano Shared Facilities" and
other keywords (like staff names) that are uniquely associated with our
enterprise.  These publications are accepted without further review.
The next round would be for additional publications from any and all of
our labmembers that were not discovered in the first round.  For
Stanford researchers, it's pretty easy to ensure uniqueness of
individuals since the libraries have a database of ORCID's for Stanford
students, faculty, and staff. For non-Stanford researchers, the search
is done on their names and associated orgs (an additional step is needed
to verify the standard name of the org.)  For this round, additional
filters are needed to validate use of our facilities, such as "SNF" or
"SNSF", where we need to be sure this indicates Stanford, rather than
"Skilled Nursing Facility" or the "Swiss National Science Foundation" -
though Sara found instances where "SNSF" meant both!).  Or names of
equipment or capabilities which are fairly unique to our facilities.
This is actually a fun project, if you like puzzles and have the time,
as you get to learn a lot about your facility, and the people and
research areas you serve.

2.  The researchers.  We ask researchers to fill in an online survey
form with their publications for the year, enticing them with drawings
for gift cards for the local eatery.  It's amazing how many people are
motivated by gift cards (and yes, the Coupa Cafe is a very popular and
convenient spot.) To be honest, the bulk of what we get is already
discovered in the first approach, but there are always some new
treasures.  Most important, though, is building community awareness
("the winner in our drawing today is:  Jo Doe!  There's still time to
submit your publications for tomorrow's drawing.  And please remember to
credit our shared facilities in your next pub!")

Our Libraries group is encouraging us (and other campus shared
facilities) to make sure that everyone on staff has registered ORCID's.
This is part of an overall push for a cultural shift to use
acknowledgements to credit staff and others who make significant
contributions, but not at the co-author level.  The Libraries are also
encouraging us to adopt RRID's (like ORCID's, but for non-personnel
resources) for our individual facilities and even individual equipment.
RRID's are used more broadly in bio/pharma and can even be used to
denote individual lot numbers of reagents, for those institutions with
the diligence and wherewithal to ensure compliance, this kind of
notebook-level detail is essential for data reproducibility. There are
also time stamps associated with each RRID, so it can be used to
identify the configuration individual piece of equipment at a specific
time - provided people are diligent in documenting this info.  The idea
is that RRID's would be part of the methods addendums and researchers'
electronic notebooks. This kind of cyberinfrastructure would make it way
easier to measure the impact of our facilities on the research
enterprise -- someday in the not too distant future...

I would love to hear what other facilities do -- and would welcome any
discussions and thoughts about ORCID's and RRID's in facilities --

Cheers -

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.