[labnetwork] Question: adhesion of metal to BPDA/PPD polyimide

Dan P. Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 6 15:57:14 EST 2023

A solid cure of the polyimide is critical, as the imidization reaction releases water as a by-product, which will cause bubbling and delamination issues for any films over it. The challenge is that you never reach 100% curing as it is an asymptotic approach. So, you need to ensure that the cure is done at a sufficiently long enough time and high enough temperature that no further cross-linking will occur during any subsequent steps. You may want to also consider using Cyclotene from Dow instead of polyimide. It has many properties like polyimide but does not have any volatile byproducts from the cross linking, so issues like this mostly go away. I used it for my thesis electroplating copper into some thick structures and is an improvement on polyimide in many aspects.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Interim Asst. Director of Facilities / Safety Manager / Facilities Engineer - (formerly an engineer at the Cornell NanoScale Facility)
College of Engineering