[labnetwork] Light filtering in photolithography bays

Christian Pies christian.pies at heidelberg-instruments.com
Tue Feb 14 03:48:48 EST 2023

Hi Travis,

when we planned our new cleanroom facilities, we wanted to switch to LED lighting, but were also quite concerned about accidentally exposing the photoresists. After some discussions with one of our resist suppliers, we learned that wavelengths below 500 nm must be avoided. Unfortunately, most yellow LEDs show a sidepeak around 420 - 450 nm, which is often not visible in the datasheets unless the emission spectrum is shown in a logarithmic representation. The LEDs we originally looked at had a side peak of 0.4% intensity, which was still too much.
Pure yellow light LEDs have a lower efficiency, but covering the lamps with a filter film probably reduces the output in a similar way or even more.

We finally decided for the following LEDs:
https://dammedia.osram.info/media/resource/hires/osram-dam-6665600/LY%20CKBP_EN.pdf
They are in use for almost two years now and we haven't experienced any problems with our resists so far. They are a bit more orange than the typical lighting, which feels a bit unfamiliar at the beginning.

Computer monitors can be an issue. If we leave our coated substrates on the desk in front of the monitor, the resist is typically exposed within a few hours. A short time next to the monitor while setting up the machine is usually uncritical (depending on the sensitivity of the resist). "Light contamination" of the entire room from the monitors has not been a problem in our case. But of course this depends on the local conditions. Turning down the brightness and switching off the monitors when not in use is for sure not a mistake.

Best regards,
Christian

Dr. Christian Pies | Head of the Process & Application Lab
T | +49 6221 728899-0
E | christian.pies at heidelberg-instruments.com

Heidelberg Instruments Mikrotechnik GmbH
Mittelgewannweg 27
69123 Heidelberg

[Heidelberg Instruments]<http://www.heidelberg-instruments.com/>

Handelsregister: Mannheim HRB 333834
Geschäftsführer: Konrad Roessler, Steffen Diez

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

www.heidelberg-instruments.com