[labnetwork] HF storage

Hosler, Richard S hosler0 at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:03:43 EST 2023

For our RCA process at Purdue/BNC, we have a small (6ft.) dedicated Kinetics RCA cleaning hood with heated below deck level baths for SC1/SC2 and a smaller unheated bath for HF. I have installed a separate cabinet for the HF and HCl adjacent to the hood. This is marked as for RCA only to a) separate the RCA supplies from the main supply and b) to shorten the distance between the cabinet and hood.

The HF is in a smaller semi-opaque white bottle that is easy to determine the level. The HCl bottles are double the size and glass. Each has their own shelf to visually separate them as well. H2O2 goes into a small fridge on the other side of the hood, again to separate the supply and provide quick access.

Access to this hood is restricted by requiring a 2 hour training session in which the user sets up, uses, and cleans up the process from start to finish. Prior HF procedures that are outlined originally in the cleanroom access training are reinforced here and the nearest HF exposure kit (6ft behind the user) is pointed out.

Basically the strategy is a sort of defense-in-depth of individual mistake-proofing features. To my knowledge we haven't had any exposure incidents stemming from this hood in the ~4 years it's been operational.

My catchphrase when working with RCA and Piranha is as follows: "If you ever stop being scared and respectful of these chemicals, you need to  stop working with them."

Rich Hosler
Research Engineer (Thermal/PECVD)
Purdue University - Birck Nanotechnology Center
hosler0 at purdue.edu