[labnetwork] HF storage

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 15 13:12:34 EST 2023

Hi Savitha,

This is Mac Hathaway, the Nanofabrication Safety officer at Harvard CNS.  This is an interesting question from a general perspective, of what and how much to do about the occasional lapse in user behavior which could have bad consequences.

In our lab, we do not repackage hazardous chemicals, and rely on proper reading of labels for proper use of chemicals.  Occasionally, we have considered repackaging for various purposes (smaller bottle size, usually) but have concluded that the additional risk to staff from extra handling of hazardous materials would not be worth it.  (it turns out pouring a full gallon bottle of toxic chemical from one jug to another through a funnel is not as trivial as it may sound.)

Different cap colors might help (our acids come with different cap colors, but the particular colors seem relatively random.  For reference, HF cap is white).  Marking HF bottles in large bold letters with a permanent marker might also help.

The most important element in this kind of situation is to teach the users the importance of the concept of Situation Awareness, the idea that every user must Pay Attention to what they are doing ALL THE TIME.  I don't want this to sound facetious, as it is literally the most important concept that we teach in our chemical safety training.  We hammer away at this concept all the time, for exactly the situation you describe.

Quite seriously, no amount of fancy labeling, signage, color codes, etc. will prevent the user lacking situation awareness from making the most monumental errors.

It would be interesting to know what the circumstances were surrounding these incidents.  Was this late at night?  Did they mistake the bottles, or did they mistake the recipe?  Where they rookies, or in a hurry?  Often, attention to these other aspects of the incidents can pay greater dividends.

Specifically with regard to HF, I find that scaring the dickens out of the users during their introduction to the chemicals enhances their retention of the important points.

Mac Hathaway
Process and Systems Engineer
Harvard CNS