[labnetwork] Cryo-piping contractors for LN2 piping sought

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Tue Feb 28 16:36:27 EST 2023

Meredith,

We have five phase separators in our facility, all supplied by Vacuum
Barrier Corporation, and whenever we see the icing issue, it's
usually attributed to moisture in the vacuum jacket, and we typically will
warm the system up, and purge with dry Nitrogen for 24 hours.  that
corrects the issue, and then we refill the system with cryogenic material
after we've pumped the vacuum jacket down.  Also, all of our
phase separators have a heater on the "vent" port of the phase separator to
keep it from icing up at that discharge location.  These guys aren't that
far from you.

*VACUUM BARRIER CORPORATION*

4 Barten Lane

Woburn, MA 01801 USA

781.933.3570

www.vacuumbarrier.com

Have you tried doing a Helium leak test on your vacuum jacket to make sure
you don't have a leak?

Are you sure that your high vacuum pump is operating correctly?  We've had
issues with the heater in the diffusion pump failing, and we weren't
getting a low enough vacuum.

Facilities Supervisor
University of Michigan/LNF

Dennis