[labnetwork] Dicing sapphire wafer

Demis D. John demis at ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 14 21:50:45 EDT 2023

We commonly have that issue with thick (≥400µm) sapphire.
Even with good water jet cooling (critical to check that alignment), large
grit blades (or the vitreous blades you're using), and slow cut speeds -
the blades still break every ~8-15 cuts (we got this many cuts per blade
with various experimentation).
Disco did say those vitreous blades are supposed to last longer than
resnoid, but we didn't have enough demo blades to really test it out
efficiently, and didn't yet find parameters where they are outlasting our
resnoid blades.

A common solution include half-cutting the wafer (going only halfway into
the wafer), then full-cutting the wafer on a separate pass.  We still have
to set the program to check the blade every 1-2 cuts, as it wears and
breaks eventually, and it takes a *very* long time to complete the wafer in
this way, so we just do full-cutting and change blades when it wears down
too much (via automatic checking on our ADT) - it was actually faster this
way for us, but I guess it potentially consumes the resnoid blades faster.
-- Demis (contact info <https://wiki.nanotech.ucsb.edu/wiki/Demis_D._John>)
*Reminder*: The NanoFab has a publications policy
<https://wiki.nanotech.ucsb.edu/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Publications_acknowledging_the_Nanofab>