[labnetwork] Frontier Semiconductor FSM laser replacement

Kevin Roberts rober074 at umn.edu
Thu Jul 27 10:54:09 EDT 2023

Hello,

We have a 1998 FSM 900tc-vac stress measurement system. Its 750 nm laser
diode died recently, and its 810 nm laser diode died years ago.

I'd very much like to repair it however, and keep using it, as it is very
versatile, and something of a Cadillac model.

I was told years ago that if the last laser died, then we'd have to
consider the machine's life over, but I don't recall the details as to
'why'.

Has anyone ever replaced their laser diodes on a vintage FSM, and were you
successful in getting it to work again?

Also, does anyone have a good service person's contact at FSM? It's been
like 20 years since I've talked to service there, and I'm not sure who to
run my question by.

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Kevin