[labnetwork] Is your facility ISO certified?

Jörg Hübner jhub at dtu.dk
Fri Mar 24 07:58:00 EDT 2023

Hi
At DTU Nanolab we have been ISO certified since 2011. The initial effort is quite substantial but keeping it alive actually balances cost and benefit for us. We are an University owned cleanroom with work going from TRL2 to TRL9 (basic research to small scale production). We allow students (B.Sc. to Ph.D.) as well as commercial companies direct access to almost all our tools, of which the majority is also used for small scale production. In order to manage the variety, keep knowledge in house, track changes in procedures etc,  the procedures required to that certification are very useful. Most of all the CAPA  (Corrective And Preventive Action) system is a very useful tool to learn from mistakes and avoid repeating unwanted actions. Also all calibrations, safety procedures, cleaning procedures etc are described, version tracked, verified and sent to hearing to the relevant persons via that system.

We have a smaller number of tools that are classified "research only tool" they are exempt from the certification and are not commonly accessible, often tools that are purchased with initial exclusive use for one specific research project only so you can confine the certification to some of the operation.

Both academic and industrial customers benefit greatly from that system.  Regarding resources: Around 2 FTE's in total, distributed among many engineers and technicians with 0.5 FTE for a Quality Manager. My feeling is that we get more out of it than we put in by preventing mistakes, learning from incidents and keep track of safety procedures, calibrations and preventive maintenance. This is for an operating state, gearing up to a certification from scratch is a another story.

Essentially ISO 9001 is a certification that you get when you can document that you keep what you promise your users/customers. So it also depends what you promise :).

  Best
      Jørg

Jörg Hübner, Ph.D.

 Director

DTU Nanolab
National Center for Nanofabrication and Characterization

Technical University of Denmark

[http://www.dtu.dk/images/DTU_email_logo_01.gif]

DTU Nanolab

ØrstedsPlads