[labnetwork] Infrared Inspection System of Chips Bonded to Wafers

James Grant James.Grant at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 06:21:01 EDT 2023

Hello,

Was fairly certain this topic has been covered before on labnetwork but couldn't find anything relevant.

Many of our plasma etch tool users have to bond piece parts samples to silicon carrier wafers (150 or 200 mm diameter). To improve thermal conduction we use a bonding medium between the piece part samples and the silicon carrier wafer. The challenge is ensuring there are no voids in this bonding layer but at the minute we have no way of imaging the stack to verify.

My ever so brief search thus far has rendered one IR system:

https://www.idonus.com/downloads/idonus_brochure_WBI_2021-01-06.pdf

It looks decent but stated minimum viewable feature size (1 pixel!!) is 200 um for a 200 mm diameter field of view.

Appreciate one could construct a home-made system but my preference is to go for the "easy" approach! There are also other techniques such as scanning acoustic microscopy and optical interferometry.

I guess my questions to the community are:

  1.  What system(s) are you using to inspect bonded wafers/chips?
  2.  What sort of resolutions do you have?

Cheers,
James
Dr. James Paul Grant
Research Engineer in Plasma Processing
Plasma Processing Group
james.grant at glasgow.ac.uk<mailto:james.grant at glasgow.ac.uk>
  [cid:image001.png at 01DA0CAB.7162C410]
      www.JWNC.gla.ac.uk<http://www.jwnc.gla.ac.uk/>
[cid:image002.png at 01DA0CAB.7162C410]  LinkedIn.com/company/JWNC
[cid:image003.png at 01DA0CAB.7162C410]  @UofG_JWNC<https://twitter.com/uofg_jwnc>