[labnetwork] Polish Si wafer edge

Kevin Roberts rober074 at umn.edu
Fri Sep 1 14:38:36 EDT 2023

Bob,

At one point I was involved in making surgical scalpels from silicon, and
this required putting a beveled edge in silicon (15 or 20 degrees, just
like cutlery) and then chemically sharpening the edge. I would purchase
wafer dicing blades which had an angled edge to them instead of being flat.
I would get these blades from Thermoccarbon in Casselberry, FL. You could
ask them if they'd be willing to sell you some 45 degree'd blades; my guess
is they make these.

ThermoCarbon: https://dicing.com/

Regards,
Kevin

On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 11:38 AM Geil, Bob <bob.geil at unc.edu> wrote:

> We have a need to take standard Si wafers and polish them at 45 degrees on
> an edge. We want to couple in an infrared beam. Does anyone know how we
> might be able to achieve this?
>
> -Bob
>
> Technical Director • CHANL
> Dept. of Chemistry • UNC-CH