[labnetwork] TEM service contracts

Gila,Brent P bgila at ufl.edu
Thu Feb 8 10:53:46 EST 2024

Yup, they are expensive.  We have 3 TEMs, 2 FIBs, 4 SEMs, EPMA, .....
all on service contracts.  We see a rough rule of thumb across the
spectrum of vendors (FEI, JEOL, Hitachi, Tescan, Cameca) that the
service contract is about 10% of the new purchase price.

We have used a 3rd party like Specialty Underwriters to "insure" a few
of our instruments and if they are able to provide a contract, they will
provide a 15-17% reduction in contract.  It is some savings, but not the
huge savings everyone is looking for.  All it takes is one mid column
replacement ($64k for the parts, not including labor) to realize how
much the service contracts can save you on a big repair.  We have been
stressing to our administration that the 10yr cost of ownership needs to
be considered when making capital equipment purchases and an increase in
annual budget to cover the service contract after the warranty must be
factored into the purchase.

The 3rd party insurance is currently the only alternative we know to
shed some expense.  Track your instrument expenses closely and ask for a
detailed breakdown of the service received.  You will find a few
instruments are more robust than others and on those you can move to a
3rd party insurer or completely forgo the service contract and pay by
repair.

Or start playing PowerBall... and hope for the best.

Best Regards,
Brent
--
Brent P. Gila, PhD.
Associate Director, Research Service Centers
email: bgila at ufl.edu