[labnetwork] budget data

Michael J. Berman mberman at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 5 16:53:08 EDT 2008

Hello,

This is Michael Berman, I am the Manager of the Micro/Nano Fab COE
University of Arizona.

We have had the same problem. We are on the last year of a 5 year program
to pay our own way. It has not worked out very well. With the latest cuts,
the four staff members are now:

An Administrative Assistant: Got a 30 notice and is now out
The lab manager got 90 days notice and will be out
The staff engineer got a 6 month contact with “and then we will see”
The Maintenance Technician got the “normal” 12 month

The plan to charge faculty for use that was put into plan about one year
into the 5 year program only worked on “new” users, the older users who
are >60% will not pay in full, therefore the model did not work, in year
#5, the college support is at $35,000 for the year.

So the lab is in major difficulty, and with the state being $2 Billion in
the hole, there is now not any extra help from State/University/College

This year the ballpark numbers look like this:

Income:
Outside Users  	   	$50,000
Inside Users	   	$35,000
College		   	$35,000 (this year only)
Inside Un-paid    	$60,000 (money they will not pay)

Spending:
Expenses	   	$50,000 (LN2, Gases, Chemicals small repairs)
  		   	$10,000   (two major repairs TBD)
Maintenance Tech	$45K (with ERE)
Eng.			$85K (with ERE)

Savings going forward:
Manager	  		$90K (with ERE)
Adm Asst.		$30K (with ERE)

The lab’s director has not gotten any grants in 3 years.

I do not think any “small clean room” can support its users, and can pay
its way unless there is some major financial support, from the College,
Grant, Endowment or the outside (private sector).

 Good luck to all of us

Michael Berman
Manager of the Micro/Nano Fabrication Center (Till Aug. 29, 2008)