[labnetwork] budget data

David W. Parent dparent at email.sjsu.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:42:37 EDT 2008

Hi All,

At  SJSU we did not really have the problem of the Dean pulling the
funding because we never received much money from the College.
We were able to generate enough money to refurbish our "dirty fab"
from local industry.  When we realized how much the upkeep was, we
really scaled back.
(Some of you have visited the lab during UGIM 2006.)

We have had some good fortune lately, in that the current lab
director (Stacy Gleixner) was able to secure about $20K from the Dean
for operations.
We sold the Dean on the lab being a showcase for the college.  It was
an easy sell given that it is available for open house and  community
college outreach activities. (70% of our students transfer from the jc.)

We share one lab technician among the ic lab with the faculty of the
chemical and materials engineering department.  He is paid for out of
the department's budget.  The six people involved do a lot of "sweat
equity", but have also been successful with grants.  We never went
over to the center model because we did not think we could support it.
I think our outlay is about $40K a year.

Interestingly enough, this was a topic at this year's excellent UGIM
conference in Louisville, when some of the attendees wondered if all
the nano-fabs being built could be supported by
NSF.

I think our outlay is about $40K a year.

John S. from SNF keeps the fees low so people will use the facility,
by putting a limit on the number of hours any one project is charged per month.

Good Luck,
-Dave Parent