[labnetwork] budget data

Kevin M Walsh walsh at louisville.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:02:17 EDT 2008

Robert,

I did a survey 3 years ago and published it in IEEE UGIM Symposium 2006.  It may be helpful (attached or online at IEEE)

Rob Pearson of RIT was considering doing a similar survey this year.  We all need to work together to keep the University Cleanrooms open and operational!

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Kevin

Dr. Kevin M. Walsh
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Director of the Lutz and BRB Micro/Nanotechnology Cleanroom
University of Louisville
BRB Building, Room 234
2210 S. Brook St
Louisville, KY 40292
(502) 852-0826 office
(502) 852-8128 fax
walsh at louisville.edu or walsh at ieee.org
www.mems.louisville.edu

>>> Robert McDermott <rfmcdermott at wisc.edu> 8/5/2008 1:27 PM >>>
Hi,

I am on the Executive Committee at the Wisconsin Center for Applied Microelectronics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Recently the Dean of the College of Engineering has decided to cut all support to this facility, so that we are required to support ourselves entirely through user fees. As a result, the rates have gone through the roof, usage has dropped, and the facility is struggling.

The Executive Committee wants to make a case to the Dean that we need some amount of internal support to grow the facility (or even to survive). I am interested in learning whether a totally self-supporting university cleanroom is the norm, or whether this is an anomaly.

If university cleanroom managers out there are willing to help, could you please provide the following information:

1.	Approximate total yearly budget for your cleanroom.
2.	Approx. yearly user fee income (broken out into internal and external users, if possible).
3.	Approx. funding from within the university (including staff salaries and support for facilities).
4.	Approx. funding from external grants.

Any information you can provide is helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Robert McDermott
Department of Physics