[labnetwork] Clean Room Garment Services

Mark M Crain mark.crain at louisville.edu
Tue Dec 1 08:53:32 EST 2009

Here at  the University of Louisville we do about the same.  We have 18Mohm water on a recirculation loop so we fill a 35gal poly drum (water conductivity drops to 3-4Mohms) and use a pneumatic powered water pump (McMastercarr, $150) to provide the pressure from the tank to the Stailness steel washing machine.  We actually did a particle count study from new suits out of the bag, looked at the count over a two week period and than washed them.  The wash brought them to just shy of out of the bag.  TMAH based developer does a great job of getting out photoresist stains as a pretreatment to the wash.  Buying real suits and washing in house is cost effect compared to shipping out the laundry or the disposable suits.

Clients (users) have their own suits, we all share the boots.  Expect to pay $90 for a suit and $90 for a pair of boots.

Mark

>>> Daniel Christensen <dan at engr.wisc.edu> 11/30/2009 2:19 PM >>>
At Univ of WI-Madison, we launder the smocks ourselves.
We have RO water (about 1M-ohm) connected to a commercial washer and
a commercial dryer with a HEPA filter on the inlet.
We hire Undergraduates for the labor.

It works out well, except for the periods when the undergrad's are
either gone (Xmas, January break, Spring Break) or during test
weeks.  Then it falls on the staff to pick up the slack.  This has
proven to a burden to the staff  during those times.

Good Luck,
Dan C

At 08:40 AM 11/30/2009, Keith Bradshaw wrote:
>We have been using G&K for our clean room garment service for five years.
>
>They were recently take over, and so we are taking a fresh look at
>how we handle laundry.
>
>  How have other labs handled laundry?
>
>What services have you used?
>
>Is it worthwhile doing it yourself?  We have  80 smocks and shoe
>pairs per week .
>
>Cordially,
>
>Keith
>
>Keith Bradshaw
>972-883-2099
>RL 10
>University of Texas at Dallas Clean Room
>NSERL building

Daniel C. Christensen
dan at engr.wisc.edu
Univ of WI-Madison