[labnetwork] Clean Room Garment Services

Bob Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 1 16:30:04 EST 2009

At UC Berkeley Microlab we use disposable Tyvek "bunny suits", caps
and booties plus net shoe covers under the booties. In addition, lab
members wear nitrile gloves.

We provide gowns as part the monthly access fee. Each lab members
keeps their own in their "gowning box". Gowns gets changed when they
show wear and tear and typically last about a week. Lab members are
given a sheet of tacky labels so they are easy to identify when in the
lab.

We have not had issues with this gowning protocol effecting yield.

When we opened in 1984 we did what industry did, we engaged a gowning
service. This turned out to be a mafia-style gowning service. We
showed them the door when we saw a regular pattern of cheating us. We
determined fabric gowns were more bother than worth.

With 350 lab members we have not regretted our decision and no
intentions to revisit the issue as we move to our new, Marvell
Nanofabrication Laboratory.

Bob Hamilton

Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley