[labnetwork] Help with Silicon on Sapphire

Bob Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:53:14 EDT 2010

Richard Everly,

A couple of decades ago I did a fair amount of work with
sapphire substrates, bonding these to glass for optical
windows in the DUV. For glass work I had to make sure the
sapphire face was cut on the correct axis to assure both x
and y directions had the same COE.

You should have no issues with chemical attack. There are no
known liquid etchants for sapphire at standard process bath
temps.

Si processing temps do not exceed the melting point of
sapphire susbstrates. These substrates can be run to 1250 C
without issue.

Assuming a reasonably thin wafer (~ 1mm) standard handling
will not represent a thermal shock issue.

Bob Hamilton

Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley
Nanolab Equipment Engineering Manager