[labnetwork] Flow Meters and/or Flow Computers for tracking distributed nitrogen usage?

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Mon Aug 22 14:28:16 EDT 2011

Hi,

At Draper we have totalizer flow meters at all the main lines going into
the lab spaces, it cost us about $15K per installation point. We then
charge the labs for the amount of gas they use. We do have issues with
the totalizer units not working, it requires local reset. Overall the
system has been in place for 2 years and is working ok. We worked
through our N2 supplier to find the companies that sell the products, it
is very vanilla flavor instruments.

The install must be done by a good process piping company, you do not
want to contaminate the N2 lines. The entire system cost us around $50K
so it is expensive. When you see the amount of N2 you use it makes you
conserve whenever possible. We spent around $10K on a firm to come in
and find leaks, it was not really worth the effort. Big culprits are dry
boxes, fittings inside wet benches, glove boxes and purge lines.

Rick

Rick Morrison
Senior Member Technical  Staff
Acting Group Leader Mems Fabrication