[labnetwork] Need RIE help

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Wed Jul 27 07:58:40 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Our facility uses an STS RIE tool (100mm wafers), to etch
Nitrides/Oxides/Ti and resist cleans. I have a big problem when we use
O2 to clean off resist from wafers. It seems that just running O2 plasma
we etch 1000A/min of SiO2. It should be impossible to etch SiO2 with O2
plasma.

In trouble shooting we have done the following, change the Teflon wafer
holder, disconnected the SF6, CF4 and CHF3 tanks and capped the lines,
then pumped the machine down and just ran O2 and we still etched the
SiO2 at 1000A/min. We have a plasma scope and the F peak is clipped of
in height during the O2 plasma clean?

Does anybody have any ideas on what may be going on.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Rick Morrison

Senior Member Technical  Staff