[labnetwork] on the deposition of copper indium diselenide

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:26:40 EDT 2011

The odors in plasma systems that use sulfur compounds are well known and
have been analyzed.  Back-streaming from pumps combined with chamber
processes can also result in odors. It is not surprising that you smell
something in a sputtering system that uses selenium.   The trace
chemicals may be harmful and one should avoid breathing them.   If you
smell it, then you have it.Your local safety officer should be able help
you seek solutions.  There are mature protocols in the industry
for opening, operating, and cleaning reactive systems such as evaporator
chambers, plasma chambers, implant sources, and even ovens.   You may
find that the boxes used to store the deposited substrates and vacuum
system parts might develop the same odor after a few days of storage.

Some possibilities are: (1) Improve protocol: Delay opening of the
chamber after a deposition and go through repeated vent/pump cycles
before opening the chamber.  Require operators to wear appropriate
personal protection equipment e.g., gloves, sleeve covers, masks etc.
Avoid opening the chamber when the area is crowded with people.

(2) Enhance installation for safety: Place the entire equipment in a
exhausted enclosure,  environmental chamber, a hood, or a glove box such
that there is enough exhaust to carry the odor away and airflow is
always away (and not towards) the operator.  What to do with the exhaust
will depend on the size of your operation and local
policies/regulations.  Prevent back-streaming from the pumping station.
Pump oils, even in trace amounts, lead to serious problems when added to
the chamber chemistry.

(3) Selenium and many of its compounds are considered toxic.  At some
point,  the odor causing compound will have to identified.   In sulfur,
fluorine, oxygen  based plasma systems,  oxyfluorides  are believed to
cause the odors.

(4) You will have many particles.  They will get worse as the system is
used.  Your results will be dominated by particle contamination if you
keep making depositions without any cleaning.  You may choose to cover
surfaces that are in the direct line of deposition with a disposable
liner such as a custom made shield or a clean Al foil.  Protocols to
change the shield often and to vacuum out the chamber after every
deposition run will have to be developed.  You have to use a vacuum
cleaner with a HEPA filter designed for such a laboratory use and
dispose bags appropriately.  A scraping tool made by pinching flat and
sharpening a stainless steel tube to custom fit the vacuum cleaner hose
will help.  You can make smaller vacuum tools from smaller tubes by
using a Teflon plug (cork) to fit them into the vacuum hose.

Good luck and please do send info about the closure of thisissue to the
microelectronics community.

Pramod Karulkar

Pramod C Karulkar
1470  Goshawk Lane