[labnetwork] FW: Silicon Nitride question

Dan Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 12 17:41:06 EDT 2012

Richard,

At the Cornell NanoScale Facility, we use the foreline cold trap method to pull out most of the deposits that would build up in the foreline areas. We have seen that the flammable deposits that can occur have mostly been in areas where you can get partial reactivity of the silanes, such as low oxygen environments like vacuum pump exhaust lines post pump, where the high pump nitrogen purge leads to a low oxygen area. We had a problem here with these deposits and so we added Edwards Gas Reactor Columns (GRC) units immediately after the pump. Attached is a paper we found describing what occurs. The deposits we get in the cold trap have been mostly ammonium chloride which remove easily in warm water.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Safety Manager, College of Engineering
Cornell University