[labnetwork] Cryopump configuration on a CVD tool

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 7 13:38:55 EST 2012

Errol Porter,

Sidestepping the safety issues of trapping pyrophorics in a
confined spare (see my last paragraph about this): I suspect
a cryopump would not perform well unless one could assure
residual H2 levels were minimized. A good deal of H2 is
produced in the disassociation of hydrides. Cryopumps use an
activated carbon-array (aka "Christmas tree") as the ~12 K
stage to physio-adsorb and trap non-condensible gases (such
as H2). Thus, they have finite limitation on the total
volumes for such gases. It is often the H2 capacity of a
cryo that drives the need for regenerations. Besides CVD, H2
is a product of in PVD processes because sputtered (or
evaporated) metals react with residual water vapor inherent
on surfaces producing both an oxide and H2.

Cryopumps have the option of equipping the vent with a gas
tight overpressure/vent port so effluents are properly
routed  to a fume exhaust system and remediation equipment.
This prevents the vent from discharging to an area an area
with personnel.

More importantly, your query begs the question why not use
the turbo to maintain base pressure when the system is in
standby? To present a corollary, I would not want to operate
our lab with a pump that might inadvertently become the
equivalent of a silane cylinder, out of a gas cabinet,
connected to a tool. One failure of gate valves are flakes
getting onto the o-ring resulting in a leak across the seat.
Such flakes are common in deposition systems. Such a leak
would result in a reactive load within the cryo.

Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley