[labnetwork] Cryopump configuration on a CVD tool

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Thu Dec 6 14:52:26 EST 2012

Errol,

we have a gas phase MBE tool here at UofM that is using pure Arsine and
Phosphine for process gases.  Typically during process we'll use a turbo
pump, with the cryo only used in stand-by state.  We had the same concerns
you do in regard to the cryopump warming up, and off-gassing the
contaminated material.  What we did was install a check valve (pressure
relief) in the vent line.  The front side of the check is exposed to the
cryopump internals, and the back side of the check valve is on our HPM
venturi header that runs throughout the fab area.  The back side is always
under vacuum (it's on a UPS system so even a power outage won't effect us),
and so far has worked flawlessly (+ 4 years).  I've attached a picture of
the mechanical connections.  Let me know if you'd like to discuss this
further.
Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc