[labnetwork] Hydrogen Generation

Leonidas Ocola ocola at anl.gov
Wed Jul 18 13:06:26 EDT 2012

We use Hogen for hydrogen generation at our cleanroom here near Chicago.
Being able to just use our 18 M-ohm DI water for hydrogen is nice.
Beats having to replace H bottles in the middle of the winter.

We have a unit that provides about 20 l/min at 200 psi that we
connect to a manifold for distribution to our etch and other tools.

The only case we needed a bottle of pure H2 was for diamond thin film
deposition.
There, that extra 9 in purity is absolutely necessary.

Leo

On 7/18/2012 6:53 AM, Ferraguto, Thomas wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> We're in the process of designing our gas cabinet and abatement layout
> for our fab.
>
> I just met with the sales representative from Proton and we're looking
> at Hogen GC600 (99.9999%) purity hydrogen delivery system (600cc a minute)
>
> I can't find any holes in the argument for Hydrogen generation for
> ~$12k, when a gas cabinet will cost me ~$20K
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this unit or Hydrogen generation in
> general ? (primarily for PECVD)
>
> Thanks...
>
> Thomas S. Ferraguto
>
> ETIC Clean Room Director
>
> University of Massachusetts Lowell
>
> 600 Suffolk Street 456C
>
> Lowell MA 01854-5120
>
> 978-934-1809 land
>
> 617-755-0910 mobile

Leonidas E Ocola, PhD
Center for Nanoscale Materials
Argonnne National Laboratory
Bldg 440, Rm A129
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439
Ph: 630-252-6613
Fax: 630-252-5739