[labnetwork] Hydrogen Generation

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 18 10:03:10 EDT 2012

Thomas,
Here at Harvard's Center For Nanoscale Systems, we have recently taken advantage of onsite Hydrogen generation technology and have incorporated a generator as our main source of H2.  Our original clean room configuration was a cylinder in cabinet configuration which required a change out approximately every two weeks.
Our main objective, driven by senior management and faculty, is to improve lab safety continuously. Since it has been proven that most compressed gas cylinder incidents happen during change outs, we focused on eliminating these scenarios wherever possible. Having onsite H2 generation eliminated the cylinder change outs, transporting,  and inventory of H2 cylinders.
Our system is a Proton GC 4800 and it has been in service for about a year without any problems. We have the advantage of an existing H2 cabinet already in place that we have piped in as a backup (with check valves) should there be an issue with the generator. The purity of the gas speaks for itself and it's great to be able to tell a researcher that questions the purity of it because of a failed experiment "It's six nines".
Good luck,
    Steve Paolini