[labnetwork] H2 Generators

Leonidas Ocola ocola at anl.gov
Thu Jul 19 01:28:18 EDT 2012

Dennis,

Depends on how you set it up. We use coaxial piping with vacuum in between
the 316 stainless steel pipes so that any leak is detected. Orbital
welding on both pipes.
We used Applied Energy Systems (AES) for the piping. Our tool
generates H2 on demand and only has 13 liters of actual H2 at any time.

Our system has been working for over 6 years with no problem.

You can contact Steve Buerkel <sbuerkel at appliedenergysystems.com>
for more info on the tubing, fittings, the Hydrogen manifolds and detection.

We started out with the generator from day one. So we did not have
to worry about converting. Our facility has a maximum volume requirement
that led us to two choices: bunker with gas bottles outdoors or hydrogen
generator.

Leo

On 7/18/2012 3:37 PM, Grimard, Dennis wrote:

> All:
>
> I have been watching the discussion regarding H2 generators.  Although
> I agree with most of what has been said I worry about being able to
> shut off the generator in case of a leak.  The generator does not know
> that it is delivering into a leak and unless the leak is detected then
> the generator will continue pumping to that leak.  Adding detectors is
> not the solution.  H2 detectors are difficult to place such that they
> will pick up a leak.  Do you add detectors at every possible leak
> point?  Add in the high velocities of the cleanroom and I hesitate to
> change from bottles to generators.
>
> When considering the costs, you also have to consider the cost of the
> added detectors ... which are not cheap ...
>
> Dennis Grimard, Ph.D.
>
> Managing Director
>
> Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
>
> 1246D EECS Blding
>
> 1301 Beal Avenue
>
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122
>
> (734) 368-7172 Cell
>
> http://www.lnf.umich.edu

Leonidas E Ocola, PhD
Center for Nanoscale Materials
Argonnne National Laboratory
Bldg 440, Rm A129
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439
Ph: 630-252-6613
Fax: 630-252-5739