[labnetwork] reliable scroll pump

Himmer, Phil PhilH at ee.montana.edu
Fri Jun 8 10:18:02 EDT 2012

Hello

I am in the process of replacing a Edwards GVSP 30 pump used to back a
cryo on an evaporator, the needle bearings went bad and damaged the
housing. Multiple pump suppliers have said that the Edwards GVSP are
poorly designed pumps and the triscroll 600 would be a better choice. I
have also been told that the Edwards is a bad copy of the Anest Iwata
ISP 500.

The equipment manufacturer likes the triscroll 600 for the cost and ease
of replacing the tip seals but does acknowledge that they do need
replacing at least every year.

Can anyone weigh in on which, if any, of these scroll pumps would be a
better choice or do they all have their own problems?

Thanks

Dr. Phillip Himmer

Manager

Montana Microfabrication Facility