[labnetwork] cleanroom air handling equipment maintenance

Tribble, Thomas tribble at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 19 23:10:25 EDT 2012

Julian,

Stretching the Harvard Management Model so as to resemble other institutions, the answer is 'yes.' the Cleanroom and other Center spaces are maintained by central Facilities.  The Director of the Center focuses on maintaining the  tools, training users, and managing the Center for Nanoscale Systems (CNS).  He is also the major tenant of the LISE lab, which houses the Center.  In a Customer Services oriented central facilities organization, being a tenant is more powerful position than it sounds.  The building systems serving CNS are my responsibility. The maintenance of those systems are my responsibility.  The majority of the work associated  with those responsibilities is performed by outside contractors under Facilities supervision, and the Directors review and approval.  Examples:

1.   The cleanroom floors are cleaned by a specialty contractor, managed by central Facilities.
2.  The mechanical equipment is maintained  under a full service contract currently held by Siemens.
       a.  maintenance schedules are set and monitored by central Facilities.
3.  The cleanroom is recertified annually by an outside contractor. Recertification and  repairs needed to achieve recertification are paid by central Facilities
4.   Emergency needs are responded to by central Facilities
5.   Routine needs are responded to central Facilities, often using Contractors.
6.   Life Safety systems (TGMS, etc.) are maintained by central Facilities.

Central Facilities is responsible for maintaining the building and building systems.  Central Facilities is responsible for maintaining what exists.  The Center is financially responsible for new things, and the tools associated with the Center.  It's not a perfect system, but we all try to make it work.

The issue of training for internal personnel is probably locale specific.  If our Center was not in an urban area, probably more work would be done internally.  But given the specialty nature of much of the work, and the ready availability of specialty contractors in our area, the choice is not too hard.

Thomas A Tribble PE, JD
52  Oxford St. 02138
   617 495 0990
C   617 780 5685