[labnetwork] cleanroom air handling equipment maintenance

Schweiger, Dennis schweig at umich.edu
Wed Jun 20 05:22:44 EDT 2012

Iulian,

Here at the LNF at Michigan, we're using our Central Facilities group for the maintenance of all of the support systems.  Other than the field of service (AC, pumps, steam, etc....) we don't require any additional training, other than what was provided as part of the startup package by the equipment vendor when the new facility came on line.  However, like any owner, we have a vested interest in keeping the systems, spaces, and equipment, at its peak operating condition.  Sometimes our facilities group doesn't share that same enthusiasm, so we have to keep after them.  We've found that what works best for us is having a couple of key maintenance mechanics (general facilities people) get familiar with the facility, and then we'll work closely with them.  It's not perfect, but it has been working well so far.  Even with their support, every morning I make a pass through all of our mechanical spaces looking at the general status of the systems, and looking for the "out of the ordinary" so that it can get corrected.

Dennis Schweiger
Facilities Manager

Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
1301 Beal Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122

734.647.2055 Ofc
877.471.6208 Fax
586.531.3030 Cell

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."