[labnetwork] KOH/IPA Solution

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 22 20:08:40 EDT 2012

Michael,
Your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) will define if you are
allowed to drain dispose modest volumes of water miscible solvent
- just as we all dispose limited volumes of ethanol and rubbing alcohol
from our homes. I find your proposal that most of the solvent has
evaporated
as part  of the process an additional compelling reason for approval.

As a separate topic, I offer that we also run a KOH bath and
we intentionally sparge the tank with O2 to minimize hillock
formation as O2 saturated solutions provide O2 to rapidly react
with H2 produced at the  surface during etching. H2 bubbles cause
micromasking
which results in micropyramid (or hillock) structures. Some related refs:
J. Micmmech. Microeng. 5 (1995) 209-218.
J. Micromech. Microeng. 9 (1999) 139--145.

I welcome separate off line contact if you want to discuss further.
Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley NanoLab