[labnetwork] KOH/IPA Solution

Dan Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Sun Jun 24 18:47:57 EDT 2012

Michael,

At the CNF, we do not allow IPA on KOH due to the fire hazard (flash point of IPA is about 11 - 13 deg C, well below even room temp). Instead of using IPA, we offer Triton X-100, an anionic surfactant that can be added to many etching solutions. We pursued that after users started requesting many of the common etching solutions we used in surfactant variations. Trying to avoid every combination of surfactant and regular solutions on the shelf, we looked for something that could be added to most solutions if desired. The challenge with most surfactants is getting the correct concentration, which is usually very low. For the Triton X-100, I found a publication that pointed towards 100 ppm as the optimum concentration. So, we predilute the material down to a dilute solution in an eye dropper style dispenser, labeled to show the proper number of drops to add per liter of etching solution, and warning that more is not better for surfactants.

I don't have definitive information on how well it does versus IPA, but for both BOE solutions and KOH, I have had positive verbal feedback from researchers.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Safety Manager, College of Engineering
Cornell University