[labnetwork] question to cleanroom colleagues: distributed vs. manifolded gases...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 21 10:00:54 EDT 2012

Ian:

Like some of the others, we tend to have tapped lines for inerts/freons
and VMBs for some (but not all) of our hazardous/corrosive/toxic lines.

In addition to the comments of others, let me add a couple of additional
thoughts relative to use of VMPs/VMBs for hazardous/corrosive gases.

There seems to be a broader range of configuration options in VMBs than
there are in cabinets themselves.  There are the "Cadillac" fully
automated systems ... nice, but pricey.  We have fully manual VMBs.
Even there, however, there are options.  We have nitrogen purge
capability for each line in our 4- or 8-stick boxes, but no venturi.
Our assumption is that all tools connect downstream of a VMB will be
able to pump out the line, but it's nice to be able to backfill with
N2/He for a manual cycle-purge.  My guess is that others will have
different configurations and reasons for using them.

In addition to the cost of the VMB/VMP .... particularly for hazardous
gases ... you should think about whether this will require additional
gas detectors, whether you'll also need to be adding extra
panels/cylinders for purge of your VMBs etc.    While I like VMBs for
things like BCl3 and chlorine, these additional items increase the
cost.  Of course, an all welded BCl3 or Cl2 system is problematic if you
ever want/need to make changes. I've yet to find a welder willing to
certify a weld on a system that has been used for these gases.  Most
jurisdictions will require all non-welded connections to most
toxic/corrosive gases be in an exhausted (and in some cases monitored)
enclosure.  The incremental cost of VMPs/VMBs also depends one the
distance between the gas cabinet, a potential VMB, and the tools.  In
our case where the distance between the gas bunker is large (we
typically have 400-500 feet of line between gas cabinet and tool/VMB)
and the distance between VMB and tool is more like 30-50 feet, the VMB
isn't such a large incremental expense.

Good luck,

John