[labnetwork] Electroplating of Ni and Gold

Savitha P savitha.p at ece.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Apr 30 03:01:58 EDT 2013

Hi!

We wanted to buy two solutions for mainly making seed layers for plating.
These are Gold Chloride solution (0.5%) and TRANSENE Nickelex solution.
>From MSDS, these solutions are shown to bioaccumulate and are toxic to
aquatic life. Nickelex comes with additional warnings of being
carcinogenic and mutagenic with special safety requirements and disposal
protocols.

Could someone please let me know whether these chemicals are used
routinely in the fabs and if yes, what are the disposal protocols for the
same. Are there any other chemicals (maybe, less toxic) which can be used
for the same purpose. We are planning to dedicate one of our general wet
benches as the electroplating bench for the time being, so chances of
cross contamination will be low.

Thanks and regards,

Savitha

--