[labnetwork] Phosphine sources

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 13 20:44:49 EDT 2013

UC Berkeley reviewed sub atmospheric (SA) delivery several years ago.
While the technology had some specific advantages it had the
following reservations:
1. there was only single supplier of SA cylinders and hence only
a single supplier of that gas. No competition for cost
savings - you become a captive customer for that gas.
2. The vendor required we purchase and install a specific
gas cabinet / gas panel to insure protection of their custom
cylinder with absorbent media. No competition for gas cabinet
savings - you become captive customer for that gas cabinet
- and it was relatively expensive.
3. Only select pure gases can be provided. Gas mixtures not
possible due to variable gas desorption rates with gas mixtures.
Not all pure gases compatible with absorbent media.
4. Unclear if authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) will relax
any containment and detection requirements. You will likely
still pursue all containment and detection best practices.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley