[labnetwork] BCL3 - Gas Line Heaters and Protocols

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 26 18:34:36 EDT 2013

Colleagues,

I can share a UC Berkeley anecdote about delivering SICL4 via a long gas
delivery line. SiCL4 has similar issues to Dean's query about BCl3
delivery experience. SiCl4 has similar issues of a liquid/gas phase
transition at low pressures, at 20 C.

Without problem, we delivered SICl4 to an etcher using one of our
standard cylinder gas automated gas panels by adjusting the delivery
pressure to about half the cylinder pressure. We felt confident the
SiCl4 would remain in a gas phase.  Thus, we delivered at ~ 2 psi absolute.

As it turned out, one of a series of fan-coil units that delivered
tempered air to the HEPA banks had been out of order since we
commissioned the lab. This did not cause a significant problem as we had
excess cooling capacity; however, we eventually got around to fixing it.

Shortly thereafter we began seeing BCL3 delivery problems to an etcher.
It took a while to associate this fan-coil repair with BCl3 delivery
problems. The BCL3 line had been routed directly under one of the
cold-air discharge points. The fix for this problem was obvious;
however, it took a while to make the association between a air-handler
fix and the BCl3 delivery issue.

The lesson I learned is gas panels for subambient pressure need better
low-pressure gauging than standard gas panels and better regulators. It
is worth purchasing a dedicated subambient-delivery regulator.

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton