[labnetwork] Installation of CNT and Graphene systems in shared labs?

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 2 16:48:57 EST 2013

Labnetwork community:

Our faculty advisory board has asked us (the Stanford Nanofabrication
Facility) to plan for the installation of a carbon nanotube (CNT)
furnace and a graphene reactor in our clean room.  Specifically, they
are looking at the FirstNano EasyTube 3000 and the Aixtron Black Magic
4" Pro, respectively.

I'm interested if anyone has experiences to share with equipment of this
type in a shared clean room environment.  Specifically, is there
anything special that you do to protect the person loading/unloading
samples ... and other nearby folks ... from possible particle exposure
during normal operations of these tools?  Also, are there any special
precautions that you take for the staff members working on either the
reaction chamber, the vacuum system, or downstream abatement systems?
Finally, are there anything that you do specially to protect the outside
environment from possible particle generation?

Note: our EasyTube 3000 should be outfitted with the FirstNano
EasyExhaust Burn Box.  It is not obvious that the Aixtron Black Magic in
the graphene reactor has any sort of included burn box ... although, by
default, if we did nothing else, the pump exhaust would still be routed
to our laboratory-wide water scrubber.

Thanks for your consideration,

John