[labnetwork] Precious Metal Reclaim

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:51:25 EST 2013

Michael:

While I can't tell you exactly what their pricing/reimbursement
algorithm is, we've been using M & K Recovery Group in Andover, MA for
reclaim of deposited metal on a number of our evaporator planetaries,
shields, etc.  In general, what we send them has a mix of metals with
gold and platinum being the subjects of reclaim.  Because of that, it's
hard for us to know the gold/platinum content of what we send them, so
we are at their mercy to tell us what they recovered.

We really didn't do any comparison shopping before choosing them ...
although some reclaim is clearly better than no reclaim.

For others doing reclaim, I'd be curious to know what financial method
you have for dealing with this.  Our accounting/financial folks seem to
have no means of accommodating something that was going to result in net
money returned to us.  As a result, we run a credit at M & K which we
periodically "cash in" in gold pellets or equivalent.

Although we haven't used them, it appears as if Lesker also does reclaim
and they even quote reclaim efficiency for various type of
materials/objects including sputtering targets, evaporation shields,
etc.  Has anyone used them?

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/deposition_materials/depositionmaterials_reclaim_2.cfm?pgid=0#

Good luck,

John