[labnetwork] N2 grade for blow guns

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 12 13:51:04 EST 2013

Iulian:

First class is better than coach.  A Mercedes is better than what I drive.

But, I don't fly first class and I don't drive a Mercedes, so I guess
that I'm going to voice an opinion that is somewhat contrary to that
expressed by most of my esteemed colleagues who have weighed in.  You've
heard from a number of the best university lab/facility managers
representing a number of the best university research facilities and the
best fab design people and the great majority say use UHP nitrogen.
Also, many of those folks are in newer facilities whereas ours has been
use for 25+ years.

However, in addition to some of the cost/quality/convenience issues that
Tom Britton raised, I think it is important to ask what is the quality
difference between your utility nitrogen and your UHP nitrogen.  If
utility nitrogen has a standard meaning, I'm not sure that I know what
it is.

In our case, both our utility (AKA 'house') nitrogen and our UHP
nitrogen come out of the same (non-stainless) 9000 gallon cryogenic
tank.  So, I believe that our utility nitrogen is "pretty good"
quality.  Although we don't monitor it, I suspect that it is likely less
than 1 ppm moisture content most of the time ... it certainly has been
every time that we have had it tested, but we don't have either online
or routine monitoring of our moisture levels.  The utility system also
has high-quality inline particle filters just downstream of the
vaporizers, but is routed in copper piping.  Our UHP nitrogen, however,
goes through an additional set of Entegris Gatekeeper cartridge filters
and then is routed in stainless.  In short, our utility nitrogen is, in
my view, very good, but our UHP nitrogen is better.s

Like everyone, I suspect, we use UHP nitrogen for all of our process
gases to furnaces, etchers, deposition tools, etc.
Utility nitrogen is used for pump purges and all of the other things
that others have outlined.

However, all of our wet benches are only supplied with utility
nitrogen.  Not only does that mean that our blow guns use utility
nitrogen, but so do our SRDs ... the last thing that wafers will see
before a furnace step.

While that likely sends shivers down the spines of many, that's the way
that our facility is set up and it would now be expensive to change.
Over the years, we've built a wide range of high-efficiency solar cells
and high-energy physics particle detectors with finished carrier
lifetime in the msec, if not 10s of msec, range.

So, while our utility nitrogen is still of pretty high quality, except
for the fact that it is distributed in copper piping, that is what we
use for blow guns and for our SRDs.  There are a lot of things to lay
awake at night and worry about in operating facilities of this type, but
in my case, using our utility nitrogen for these purposes is not one of
them.  Of course, if utility nitrogen means something of greatly lower
quality ... such as a nitrogen generator of the type used to fill tires
with nitrogen at Costco ... then that is an entirely different matter.

Have a good weekend all,

John