[labnetwork] Recirculating DI water spray guns?

Olona, Leonard E. len.olona at ou.edu
Fri Jan 18 09:46:43 EST 2013

Hi Mary,

I agree with Jeff.  Here at OU our DI system has a return loop.  However,
the DI guns inside our acid bench have a short run that does not return.

Simply put....  WE only use our DI water guns for general wash down or
final decontamination of the bench.  It's much better than using city
water.  And we do not encourage the students and or researchers to use the
spray guns where pure DI (18Mohm) is required.

I like to think of the DI "vegetable" sprayer as a cleanup tool.

You could do an experiment where you run the sprayer into a beaker and
check resistivity.  Letting it run for a while may clear things up.  We
also have an inline ultraviolet system bacteria unit that helps keep the
biological fishes at bay!

It really all depends on what you're trying to achieve. The level of
resistivity that is required.  Biological stuff as well. (we are not too
concerned with the latter) Etc...

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

-Len

Leonard E. Olona
University Cleanroom Director and Facility Manager
University of Oklahoma
110 West Boyd Street
Norman, Oklahoma  73019

Email len.olona at ou.edu