[labnetwork] N2 pump purge source of chamber contamination?

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 29 11:25:29 EST 2013

Vito:

While I'm sure that folks more knowledgeable than I will chime in, let
me get the ball rolling with some of my thoughts.

First, a modern turbomolecular drag pump should have a very high, but
not infinite, compression ratio for nitrogen on the order of 10^12.  To
me that means that there should be very little, but probably not zero,
nitrogen flowing back through the turbo pump.  Knowing more about your
system flows, pressure and nitrogen partial pressure in the foreline,
etc. would probably be required to provide a more detailed analysis.

Do you have an RGA on this system ... or at least the ability to add one
temporarily?  I would think that this would be a useful tool.
Particularly, if I had an RGA, I'd be inclined to replace the nitrogen
pump purge with argon ... at least as a quick experiment ... to see if
that made a difference.  Actually, I'd probably run experiments using
argon as a pump purge even if I didn't have an RGA on the tool ...

Do you have SIMS (or similar) data that shows constant nitrogen
background levels or does the nitrogen level show a spike at the start
of the deposition or at other times during the process?

How confident are you that nitrogen and/or air aren't able to enter the
chamber through the load lock or through leakage in the main chamber?
What is your pumpdown/purge procedure in the load lock?  Is that using
argon to purge and backfill? What's the rate of rise in the chamber
itself?  Has the chamber been hard baked so that you are more confident
that you aren't seeing evolution of adsorbed gas, contributions from
virtual leaks, etc?  Depending on what nitrogen background levels you
are seeing, it doesn't take much of a leak in the chamber to result in a
significant partial pressure of air in the system?  Are there any rotary
or linear seals in the system that could result in unwanted partial
pressures of air/nitrogen?

My first guess is that back flow of pump purge nitrogen is not your
primary source of nitrogen in the chamber ... but that should be fairly
easily tested using clean argon for your pump purge for a bit.  Although
I haven't used one, I know that EBARA (and maybe other dry pump
manufacturers) offers the ESR20N that claims to require no nitrogen
purge in clean applications.  If backflow of nitrogen purge gas IS your
problem, this may be a way of reducing that source ... and maybe at a
lower total cost than using high-cost argon continuously as a pump purge.

Finding the source of low-partial pressure contaminants in these type of
systems is often tricky and typically requires a significant number of
experiments to fully resolve.  We have been working hard to find the
source of low levels of oxygen contamination in some SiGe epitaxial
processes ... and thus far have a hefty stack of receipts from SIMS
analysis but less-than-complete resolution of the problem.

Good luck,

John