[labnetwork] N2 pump purge source of chamber contamination?

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 29 11:53:27 EST 2013

Vito Logiudice,

The UC Berkeley Marvell NanoLab supports a CVD diamond tool
made by sp3. It is CVD and not PECVD; however, I'll take a
stab at a way of ruling out your pump-stack as a source of
back-diffused N2.
It is unlikely N2 could back diffuse through a turbo-pumped
system from its foreline roughing pump. By chance, does this
turbopump use N2 as a bearing-purge, another source of N2?
If so, is the flow for this purge under control?

One way to rule out N2 from the pump stack would be to
substitute Ar as the pump-purge gas and do a run. If your
runs are long and a cylinder of Ar does not contain enough
gas (~6500 standard liters/cylinder) to support a full run
consider rental of a liquid Ar Dewar. Depending on the size
of your dry pump it likely uses 35-50 slpm of N2 purge and
the turbo bearing purge would be much less than the mech
pumps N2 purge gas consumption.

An RGA would be a terrific tool to review effects. Appended
is a graph from Edwards on the RGA analysis of the ratio of
residual gases from their turbos. Given the base pressure of
turbos and the throughput of your process gas the N2 partial
pressure should be nil:

  * Edwards STP magnetically levitated turbomolecular pumps

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley4
Rm 520 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1754
bob at eecs.berkeley.edu (e-mail preferred)
510-809-8600 510-325-7557 (mobile - emergencies)