[labnetwork] N2 pump purge source of chamber contamination?

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:54:53 EST 2013

I am not sure if the suggestion given below will work with a good small
volume, load locked turbo pump system.  But it is worth considering
after all the obvious causes of trace  nitrogen in the films have been
eliminated.

One source of nitrogen could be the the backstreaming during the last
stages of chamber  pump-down.  This is serious if the pre-process
pumpdown goes on for a long time to attain a certain predetermined level
of vacuum (or the operator leaves the system pumping for an extended
period of time to get "good" vacuum and goes for a meeting or a break).
Backstreaming is nearly absent when something is being pumped (i.e.
flowing through the pumping line). Nitrogen purging suppresses
backstreaming of species resident in the pump but can create the problem
of that nitrogen itself backstreaming depending on the system and
process design. Replacing nitrogen with another gas is one solution as
described in Bob's e-mail.   Backstreaming of the pump purge gas can be
suppressed by purging the chamber itself with a desirable gas (carrier
gas used in the process) and thus pumping the chamber in a "carrier gas
rinse" mode.    This is easy in sputtering or PECVD systems in which you
can purge with a carrier gas, typically  Ar or He, at very low flow
rates.  One may switch to the final process without cutting off the
carrier gas purge  and without ever switching to the "full low vacuum
state."  The purge also helps to reduce the effectiveness of virtual
leaks by exhausting them and replacing them with carrier gas.   A
Meissner coil or a water pump that is installed directly on the chamber
further improves the vacuum quality if turned on after the chamber is
pumped down.  Periodic system qualification, regular use of RGA, and
qualification of the material on test substrates before committing
valuable parts  may be routinely required.

You may want to check if the contamination varies as a function of the
deposition number in a sequence of depositions. Does wafer (or run )
number 1 differ from wafer (or run) number 10?  You have to see if there
is a virtual leak that you wear out as deposition progresses (as chamber
components heat up).  One way to address this process quirk  without
going into a large R&D project is to run simulated depositions before
committing to a product wafer. Ignoring the first few depositions to
stabilize the system is a no-no if you are running a product line but is
OK in a research project.

This paper on effectiveness on N2 contamination might interest you:
R. Locher, C. Wild, N. Herres, D. Behr, and P. Koidl, "Nitrogen
stabilized ?100? texture in chemical vapor deposited diamond films,"
Appl. Phys. Lett. *65*, 34 (1994); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.113064
<http://link.aip.org/link/doi/10.1063/1.113064> (/3 pages/)

Problem mentioned in the original e-mail is very common when one
deposits anything sensitive to trace impurities, such as
superconductors.   In studies of superconducting films, deposition of
ultra high purity films used to be very difficult in vacuum systems of
the past.  Films that seemed to be OK at room temperature would exhibit
very different (disappointing) properties when cooled to low
temperatures.  Trace impurities were one of the culprits.  Implementing
several "tricks" to improve purity of the films gave  researchers access
to good superconducting films for device applications while using
inexpensive systems.

Good luck.
Pramod Karulkar

Pramod C Karulkar Ph. D.