[labnetwork] Intercom / Paging System

P. Scott Harris psharris at magma.ca
Sat Jul 6 20:05:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

Assuming that you have a wireless network in your lab, you might consider
something simple like 'Line' or 'Viber' (free apps for Android/iOS/Windows).
Basically they let you turn a tablet/iPod Touch/phone into a text/voice chat
device. I can use it to talk to/chat with/message people in a lab (you can set
each client to ring/buzz/whatever when a call/message comes in) so long as they
have a network connection i.e. you don't need a phone connection at all. It's
free so it would be simple enough to try - take two people with an iPod Touch
(or whatever) and somebody on a Windows desktop and see if they can communicate
in a useful way. If you mount a tablet of some sort to a wall (or link a display
on the wall to a tablet) you could use it as a message board. Not useful without
WiFi but possible worth trying.

--
Best regards,

P. Scott Harris, P.Eng.