[labnetwork] Discolouration on evaporated Mg

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:42:24 EDT 2013

I hope you have eliminated the evaporation source and process themselves
as the sources of problem.  Mg deposition is very tricky because it is
very reactive.

The particles are probably contaminants that are present on the
substrate/wafer before evaporation.   Two possibilities for the rings:
The rings are present around the particle before deposition and are from
the same source of contamination.  They manifest vividly after
deposition.   Other origin for the rings is out-gassing or decomposition
of the particle.  Shadowing by the particle can also cause some rings.
The substrate (elemental such as silicon or oxide such as SiO2 or Al2O3)
can play a role in this too.  Varying thermal treatment without breaking
the vacuum may help to understand this.  Look up literature on reactions
with substrate and condensation phenomena in ultra-thin films in JVST
and APL. Substate processes can modify film structure (Very interesting
effect is described here:
http://apl.aip.org/resource/1/applab/v93/i21/p213304_s1?view=fulltext&display=print&bypassSSO=1
) But the "rings"  strongly suggest contamination.

There is one way to be perfect and infinite ways to be imperfect.
Contamination is an imperfection in the process.  It is not something
that happens universally.   Hence it is difficult to explain what is
happening based on your brief comment.   Someone has to audit your
complete process (not just the evaporation) thoroughly.  You will also
have to do some experimentation and analytical work to resolve this.

Good luck....

Pramod C Karulkar Ph. D.
Home 2*5*3* 3*0*3 0*4*1*8
6024 33rd Street Ct NW
Gig Harbor WA 98335

On 7/16/2013 3:33 PM, Iyer, Nandini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, we have noticed some unusual spots on our evaporated Mg film
> (~10um).  It consists of a contaminating particle and a ring shaped
> discolouration around the particle. We suspect that the contaminant
> may be Mg particles deposited during evaporation but we are not
> certain about this. Does anyone have any theories about what could be
> happening?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Nandini

Pramod C Karulkar Ph. D.