[labnetwork] KOH Tank Design

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Tue Jul 23 06:14:28 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have used a reflux condenser (Lab Glass) with a heated jacket. I have never had the need for a stir bar with the heated jacket. For the condenser coil I use either cold water or a recir system to save on water going to the drain.
The web site for Lab Glass is  http://www.wilmad-labglass.com/ProductList.aspx?t=108

The beaker has a large flat on the top which is clamped to the cover. The cover has 3 holes, one for the condenser, one for a T/C and one extra, this works great for KOH and I also use it for EDP. The beaker fits into a heater jacket. This applies even heat to the solution so a stir bar is not needed.

Good luck.

Rick Morrison

Draper Laboratory
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com